Srinagar: Hyderpora ‘encounter’: Petition seeking exhumation of Amir’s Body reserved for Thursday

The High court of Jammu Kashmir has reserved the petition seeking the exhumation of the body of Amir Magray, killed in the Hyderpora “encounter” for Thursday.

The case was reserved for Thursday by a single bench of Justice Sanjeev Kumar for the orders on Thursday.

In December, The father of Amir Magray, one of the four persons killed in an encounter in the Hyderpora area of Srinagar in November filed a petition in the Jammu Kashmir High Court seeking the return of the body of his son, maintaining his “innocence”.

The 18-page petition was filed by Amir’s father Mohd Latief through his lawyers Deepika Singh Rajawat and Mohd Arshad Chowdhary.

The move came two days after the Special Investigation Team (SIT) of the Jammu Kashmir Police probing the Hyderpora encounter claimed that while one civilian was killed by a foreign Militant, two others, including a local “militant” (Magray), died in the crossfire after being used as a human shield by the hiding militant.

A Pakistani militant and three other persons were killed in Hyderpora on November 15, the police claimed, adding that all the slain men had links to militancy.

The families of the three, alleging foul play, had claimed that they were innocent, prompting the police to order an inquiry.

Lt Governor Manoj Sinha had also ordered a magisterial probe into the incident.

Invoking Article 21 of the Constitution which extends the right to have decent burial as per religious ceremonies and rules, for his son, the petitioner said he has been instrumental in fighting and curbing militancy in Gool and Singaldan area by working as a civilian volunteer with the Army.

Referring to the return of the bodies of two others, a building landlord and a doctor with whom Amir was working as an office peon on November 18, the petition pleaded the court to direct the respondents — Union Home Ministry, Jammu and Kashmir administration and Director General of Police — to hand over his body to the family.

“The magisterial probe was time bound and was supposed to submit its report within 15 days but despite passage of more than one month, no such report has been submitted so far,” the petition said.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited or created by PRESS EXCLUSIVE staff, it is copied from The Kashmiriyat)